Saturday, November 19, 2005

Really Long Socks

Some days, you feel like a superhero. Like when your sockpal sends you superhero socks - thanks again Yarn Maven!

Some days, you need a little help getting to that superhero feeling. That's why I own these...



But every great boot needs a great boot sock. Or at least a really long boot sock. That's why I just knitted these...



Look, (with a little geknitic engineering) they're identical twins.



They're knitted from Elann's Sock it to Me! yarn (superwash wool and polyamide), one 50g/230yd ball per sock, in the Puzzle pattern. I used the Elann toe up sock pattern (free!) and size 1 needles.

I don't understand why, but they were a surprisingly quick knit. They just flew by. Socks rarely do this for me. Perhaps its a sign from the universe that my superpowers will be needed shortly?

Note: Superpowers include incorporating bacon into any recipe, calligraphing 100 wedding invitations in two days, and going from asleep to out-the-door each morning in under 17 minutes. Superpowers do not include folding fitted sheets, weaving in yarn ends (sorry Rogue), or styling my own hair.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Oooh, I need some of those. I've been craving super-tall socks for a while, although I do not have such kick-ass boots to wear them under.

Bacon is the most important superpower.

Veronique said...

Dear SuperHero,
Did you work increases as you went up the calf or does the yarn stretch enough to accomodate super-calves? (I'm asking because my knee highs are very constricting and I am loath to rip and re-knit).

Michelle said...

those are great great socks!

amandamonkey said...

WOW
I *really* need some socks like those!

FemiKnitMafia said...

Fabulous socks! Yes, please share the secrets of proper knee sock knitting. I did a pair with no increases and they're OK, but not exactly what I want. Also, as my first pair of socks, they're fraternal twins-with one top that binds and one top that falls down. Oh well.

Brooklyn Handspun said...

Ohh I LOVE them, Since socks and sock yarn have been my latest passion I am so ready to knit me a pair of super high socks...and I have the same question as veronique...did you do increases?