Friday, March 16, 2007

A Tale of Two Piles

I've been knitting and knitting and knitting, and I really don’t have any pretty little things to show for it. Instead, I have two piles. Here’s pile number one…



It’s the back and left sleeve/front of a Sunrise Circle Jacket inspired by Christy’s recently completed Sunrise Circle. Seeing her jacket jogged something in my memory, something about having 7 skeins of Rowanspun DK in the exact same color hanging around my stash.

I swatched.



Gauge was perfect. I’ve never gotten such perfect gauge in my life. Row gauge too! I just started on the right sleeve/front and I hope to make lots of progress on this one because I’ll be attending a class all weekend and should have lots of time to knit.

What about pile number two? Pile number two is an embarrassment. A pile of shame. A pile that was staring me in the face and making me feel guilty until I shoved it in a drawer. Here’s pile number two…



I finished knitting all of these projects, but I just cant bring myself to finish the finishing. I’ve got one pair of socks (really, how hard it is to weave in a few ends), a burp cloth, and six (yes SIX) baby sweaters in need of seaming and/or buttons. Disgraceful. I'm declaring next week to be my own personal Festival of Finishing - hopefully this public shaming will keep me honest.

9 comments:

Ashley said...

I'd shame you, but I'm too busy thinking about how adorable that green and white baby sweater looks.

Anonymous said...

girlfriend, do we need a seaming party? It's all about the knitting for you isn't it? be careful, you don't want that circle jacket to end up in that other pile either!

spajonas said...

i agree with craptina! get in there and make it happen! just think about how happy you'll be when it's all said and done :)

vlb5757 said...

They say confession is good for the soul. I confess that I have three (yup) large plastic bins under my bed with crocheted afghan squares. All I need to do is put them together. They have been there for about 6-8 years. I have a half finished crocheted table cloth that I started in 1999. I keep hoping it will finish itself so I don't have to. I am not motivated to finish them while I still have money in my checking account to buy more yarn to knit with. One day when I run out of money, I might finish them..maybe.

Brenda said...

I hope you have a fine festival of finishing! The baby sweaters look like they will be fantastic! They deserve their seams.

schrodinger said...

You can totally do it, it's just finishing after all. And just think of all those beautiful FINISHED handknits you would have in your possession.

Congrats on getting perfect gauge - a knitters dream. :)

Christy said...

Having that row gauge exact will definitely make the Sunrise go more smoothly. I almost always have row issues.
Good luck with the finishing...maybe give yourself a prize when you get it done.

Elinor said...

Think of it as preparing blog material - not seaming!

I love the sunrise circle jacket. When I have time for sweater knitting again, it will be my first one!

Happy finishing!

Anonymous said...

I admire your fortitude in tackling the Finishing Heap - I just wish I were on hand in NYC for a seaming bee! I actually like finishing.

I'm so glad you like the little jacket, and I can't believe I somehow missed the baby-naming contest. My pal in name-dorkdom, Kristen, left you her awesome suggestions, anyway. I'll just put in a third or fourth vote for Gabriel, which is one of my favorite names ever.