Saturday, January 07, 2006

Breaking the Rules

Jaywalking is all about breaking the rules, defying the Man and, in my case, not following the pattern.

A proper Jaywalker should look like this (scroll down for the closeup, and admire the adorable baby gear while you're there).

The raised stitches on my jaywalker sock look more like this...



Turns out that when you're making the bumpy parts, you're supposed to slip two stitches TOGETHER, not one after another. I'm just going to think of these socks as being knitted in the true jaywalker scofflaw (or scoffpattern) spirit.

8 comments:

spajonas said...

oh really? does slipping them together not produce a bump? i didn't even notice that on mine :)

--Deb said...

I think they look just fine as they are. Who's going to know?

Oh, and I got your Tannenbaum prize in the mail today--just before the postage rates went up!

Brooklyn Handspun said...

Hey we can break the rules together with our very similar looking jays both in color and pattern flubs!

Ashley said...

Really? Wow. Every time I think I know stuff about knitting...

Well, the old "call it a design element" seems to be working just fine--I think they look great.

Veronique said...

Or you can say you were creating that little bump on purpose, you know, say it's a "design element"!
Nice meeting you at the Point!

Anonymous said...

The socks look great... throw the pattern out the window :) If I don't see you, have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon!!!

Anonymous said...

Crap. I've been slipping one, then the other. Learn something every day!

Anonymous said...

That's right - stick it to the Man!